IPTV/OTT Platform Launch: A Short Guide
IPTV/OTT solutions are taking a firm stand in comparison with satellite or cable TVs that take second place. People turn to IPTV/OTT platforms due to their convenience and lower price. Businesses build their IPTV/OTT services to be closer to their customers and provide them with high-quality video content.
In this article, we are going to discuss how to launch your video streaming service.
What is IPTV/OTT?
IPTV and OTT are methods of delivering video content to consumers. But they differ from each other:
IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) uses a local network to achieve the goal mentioned above. It means that the users only from that local network can access the video content.
The IPTV service provider controls the infrastructure necessary for IPTV platform operation, and the provider also can communicate with customers by sending them messages. The provider can also send an update to a set-top box a consumer uses.
OTT (Over The Top) delivers videos over the Internet. The Internet connection allows users to consume video content even when they aren’t at home – that’s what differentiates OTT from IPTV. OTT platforms use the third parties’ infrastructure to operate.
OTT is good at providing users with content anywhere with an Internet connection, while IPTV guarantees the quality of videos within their network. The quality of OTT videos will depend on the user’s Internet connection speed.
Step-By-Step Guide: How to Launch an IPTV/OTT Service?
Here is a list of steps in case you are going to build a video streaming service with the help of a third-party provider:
Make a detailed business Plan
A business plan will help create order in chaos. Describe the product, the target audience, and the video content you will create as detailed as possible to have a clear picture of future service.
Choose an IPTV/OTT platform provider
IPTV/OTT platform providers create all necessary software and hardware for content owners who want to launch their own IPTV/OTT service.
An end-to-end IPTV/OTT solution includes:
- IPTV/OTT Middleware makes all applications connect with each other. It defines the user interface and manages subscriptions, monetization models, and delivery logic.
- You will also need to consider the on-premise vs cloud infrastructure problem. The solution will define the way you will operate.
- Applications for smartphones, tablets, laptops, and Smart TVs will make it convenient for consumers to watch videos on any device they have.
- Tables, laptops, and smartphone apps will allow consumers to view content even when they aren’t at home.
- A set-top box (STB) is necessary to connect the IPTV Middleware to a user. It decodes signals into video content and transmits them to a TV screen.
- A Content Delivery Network (CDN) is a network of servers that helps deliver video content to users from other countries. It helps reach a wider audience across the world.
Check if the solution you are going to choose has the following features:
- A customization feature that will help deliver the idea of your brand. White-label solutions allow you to customize the platform according to your colors and other elements.
- An OTT/IPTV analytics tracking will give you a lot of data about your consumers’ preferences and their behavior. These data can provide insights for enhancing a service.
- Monetization models will define the way you will receive revenue. Each of them has its pros and cons. Learn more about AVOD, SVOD, and TVOD to understand which one is more suitable for your business.
Configure the Platform
Make sure that IPTV/OTT platform provider can help you configure the solution according to your needs. Otherwise, you will need to do it yourself. After setting up all configurations, you can start operating and monetizing your content.
An IPTV/OTT platform requires investing time to configure and make sure that you can provide users with a good experience while viewing videos. It’s okay to have some pitfalls, but a good IPTV/OTT service provider will help manage them. Make sure you choose the right one.